Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Time out.

Anyone remember Tony & Joe's The Freeze? It was on my Goofy Greats album. Hands down, my favourite album growing up. Oh, then again, I was terribly connected to ABBA's Voulez Vous. And let's not forget The Xanadu soundtrack. Pirate Movie, anyone?

But I digress.

1, 2, 3...FREEZE!

I've been staring at a computer for quite some time now, writing, working, playing. And these eyes of mine could use a break. I'll be back on Monday with something fresh and tasty to satisfy.

Until then, what was your favourite album/8 track/cassette/cd/mp3 growing up? Seriously, I want to know.

Fleetwood Mac? Bruce Springsteen? Salt 'n' Peppa? The Backstreet Boys? Miles Davis? Fresh Prince? Janet Jackson? The Police? Wayne Newton? The Osmonds? Pearl Jam?

7 comments:

Levi Stahl said...

Though I, too, liked the Goofy Greats album, my favorite when I was five and six were Blondie's singles "The Tide Is High" and "Rapture." Not much of my five-year-old tastes remains, but I still love those songs.

Gwendy Doll said...

You know, it's funny that you mentioned Xanadu. It was one of my all time favourites, and it still sits on my shlef to this day (both the movie and the soundtrack). But my all time favourite growing up was Petula Clark, on 8 track. Don't ask me why. I really don't know...

Susan Glickman said...

Wow, do I ever feel old reading this! For me it was the Beatles, all the way. The first record I ever bought with my own money was a single-- "Help" (the flipside was "I'm Down", I think), and I played it obsessively over and over on my little portable record player. OK, not an album, I know, but probably the single most important musical moment of my life.

Heather said...

Denise Williams 'Let's Here it for the Boy' was my first 45. I moved onto Duran Duran then to NKOTB and then moved into a comforting run with Sade.

Anonymous said...

I was always excited when the gas gauge in my parent's blue on blue '79 Spirit neared empty because it meant we had to go to a gas station.

I was obsessed with the Solid Gold Hits black and gold cassette tapes that they sold at gas stations in North Bay. I had the complete collection. My favs: Steppenwolf and Marvin Gaye.

dc

Anonymous said...

The farthest back I can remember, the top 3 tapes I had, and treasured, were as follows:

Dirty Dancing- Soundtrack to the fick (the reason I'm okay with the bump on my nose)

Sinead O'Conner- I Do Not want What I Haven't Got (obviously just for Nothing Compares 2 U)

Enya- Watermark (How my parents would placate 3 young children on long drives to and from a summer cabin)

Cheryl Arkison said...

8 Track? Definitely Boney M. The only time we ever listened to it was on family trips for ski vacations. We didn't trust the 8-track with anything else... yet it never ate that one album.

My first and favourite tape was Bananarama. I still remember the dance, copied and adpated from the video. Who can forget the walk forward while criss-crossing their arms to the line, "I'm your Venus. I'm your fire. Your desire"? wonderful lyrics for a ten year old!