Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Montreal, Mont Royal Station

Black woman, late 20s, wearing long brown and white speckled coat, cinched at the waist by a wide belt, reading while walking up the stairs.

The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini (Seal Books)

Page 275:

I found the old window to my old bedroom, second floor, third window south of the main steps to the house. I stood on tip-toes, saw nothing behind the window but shadows. Twenty-five years earlier, I had stood behind that same window, thick rain dripping down the panes and my breath fogging up the glass. I had watched Hassan and Ali load their belongings into the trunk of my father's car.
She pulls up her collar in the doorway but stops short of going outside. A young boy has taken over the tarmac with his remote controlled jeep and it's started to snow, large flakes coming from every direction, the mountain barely a shadow in the distance. She steps back, a stranger spinning at her elbow, and rests her bag between her feet at the window. Fumbling through her purse, she retrieves the book and opens it on the ledge.

No comments: