Monday, November 12, 2007

Spadina streetcar, four readers rocking in a row

Asian woman, early 20s, wearing blue and red knitted cap, jean jacket under black vest and jeans rolled high over black biker boots.

Ticknor, Sheila Heti (House of Anansi Press)

Page 65:

Today I can't get anyone who knows him to agree with any of my criticisms. At the time, this wasn't my problem. Now pretty much nobody can be brought to see it from my side of things. I don't expect it. When he has made a mistake, all he can do is move forward. Probably they will not invite me again.
She stands outside the apartment door, plastic bag in hand, knotted tight to hide the raised cork. The bottle is half-drained, a sidebar session in the subway washroom when she realized that he'd be there, talking. Talking about politics. Talking about war. Talking about things that matter to her. Things she promised herself she wouldn't talk about anymore at parties because she becomes That Girl. The one who talks about politics at parties. The one who reacts to what you say.


No comments: